Assistant Professor, tenure-track
Caruth School of Dental Hygiene
Member of the Texas A&M Graduate Faculty
3302 Gaston Avenue
Dallas, Texas 75246
Dr. Faizan Kabani is a tenure-track, Assistant Professor in the Caruth School of Dental Hygiene at Texas A&M College of Dentistry. He is chair of the College’s Educational Research Grant Program and is also responsible for directing the undergraduate dental hygiene research program.
Dr. Kabani is both a Fellow of the American Dental Education Association’s (ADEA) Leadership Institute (2020-2021) and a Fellow of the American Academy of Dental Hygiene.
As chair of the Educational Research Grant Program, Dr. Kabani strives to enhance innovative teaching opportunities by using the program as an intramural supporting structure that invites and facilitates interdisciplinary collaboration amongst our diverse faculty.
Education & Post-Graduate Training
- PhD Public Health; University of North Texas Health Science Center; Fort Worth, Texas (2017)
- MS Health Care Administration; University of Texas at Arlington; Arlington, Texas (2013)
- MBA Management; University of Texas at Arlington; Arlington, Texas (2013)
- BS Dental Hygiene; Texas Woman’s University; Denton, Texas (2011)
- Graduate Committee Faculty, Office of Graduate & Professional Studies (2019-Present)
- Assistant Professor, Caruth School of Dental Hygiene, Texas A&M University College of Dentistry (2016-Present)
- Associate Professor, Dental Hygiene Program, Collin College (2015-2016)
- Program Development Committee & Visiting Professor, Dental Hygiene Program, Aga Khan University (2012-2017)
- Healthcare Administration Intern, Ambulatory Care Services, Children’s Medical Center (2012)
- Clinical Dental Hygienist, Special Needs Dental Clinic, Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children (2011-2016)
- Clinical Dental Hygienist, Private Practice (2011-2016)
Dr. Kabani’s interests focus on improving the quality of the undergraduate dental hygiene research program, developing pedagogical skills, and cultivating an inclusive organizational climate at the College of Dentistry.
Shortly after being appointed director of the undergraduate research program, Dr. Kabani revamped the course to inspire students towards being more invested in research, by providing them with the tools to become better researchers and evidence-based practitioners. For example, Dr. Kabani added a significant amount of content that not only expanded upon major concepts in research, but also developed a novel journal club platform that helped students become more receptive to evaluating the credibility of published literature.
Students, through the revamped research program experiences, are able to better connect the gaps between the value of research in informing evidence-based practice and achieving positive patient outcomes. Furthermore, students continue to become more excited and involved in evidence-based research. This increased engagement has resulted in students achieving several accolades at state and national conferences as well as publishing in peer-reviewed journals.
Dr. Kabani serves as a guest lecturer and participating course faculty in several courses including managing cultural issues in patient care, integrated practice of dentistry, ethical practice, pre-clinic, junior and senior clinic, public/community health, and health education/behavioral sciences.
Dr. Kabani’s research focuses on improving the quality of life of society’s most vulnerable and underserved communities, particularly unmet dental public health concerns and care for special needs populations. Dr. Kabani engages in several research endeavors including publishing articles in peer-reviewed journals, serving as a contributing author in leading dental hygiene textbooks, engaging in research grants, and presenting both research posters and lectures at various local, regional, national, and international conferences.
Dr. Kabani was also instrumental in establishing a collaborative research venture between Caruth School of Dental Hygiene and the Undergraduate Research Scholars program, a LAUNCH initiative at Texas A&M University. The longer-term goal is for future dental hygiene graduates to receive formal university-level accolades, including a medallion to wear at commencement and an ‘undergraduate research scholar’ designation on students’ permanent transcripts – thereby providing a unique opportunity for graduating students to have better prospects in pursuing graduate education and/or careers in research.
Dr. Kabani is also invested in addressing a breadth of issues related to diversity and inclusion, including creating a safe, supportive, accessible, and equitable environment for students and employees from various affinities – particularly for historically underrepresented and contemporary marginalized groups (i.e. Minority, Immigrant, LGBTIQ+ populations). Specifically, Dr. Kabani intends to play a leadership role in further developing curriculum and professional development opportunities related to diversity education and cultural competency in dental education.
- Kabani F. & Beatty CF. Cultural Competence. In: Beatty CF, ed. Community Oral Health Practice for the Dental Hygienist. 5th Maryland Heights, MO: Elsevier; 2021: Chapter 10.
- Kabani F. Evidence-Based Dental Hygiene Practice. In: Boyd, LD, Mallonee LF, Wyche CF eds. Wilkins’ Clinical Practice of the Dental Hygienist. 13th Philadelphia, PA: Wolters Kluwer; 2020: Chapter 2.
- Kabani F. Disability and Health. In: Darby and Walsh, eds. Dental Hygiene Theory and Practice. 5th Edition. Maryland Heights, MO: Elsevier; 2019: Chapter 59.
- Kabani F, Stockbridge E, Varghese B, Loethen A. Acculturation and the oral health of a nationally representative sample of Hispanic children in the United States: An analysis of the 2011-2012 National Survey of Children’s Health data. BMC Public Health. 2020:20(1), 111. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12889-019-8045-x
- Luu T, Kabani F, Muzzin K. Effects of estrogen in temporomandibular disorders. Decis Dent. 2020:6(2):32-35.
- Luu T, Kabani F, Muzzin K. Estrogen and temporomandibular disorders: hormonal fluctuations may be a contributing risk factor for TMD-related pain. Dimens Dent Hyg. 2020;18(1):34-39.
- Van N, Carr J, Derrick L, Kabani F, Mallonee L. The power of arginine in promoting oral health. Dimens Dent Hyg. 2019;17(10):40-43.
- Kabani F, Lykens K, Tak H. Exploring the relationship between adverse childhood experiences and oral health-related quality of life. J Public Health Dent. 2018;78(4):313-320.
- Stockbridge E, Kabani F, Gallups J, Miller T. Ramadan and culturally competent care: strengthening tuberculosis protections for recently resettled Muslim refugees. J Public Health Manag Pract. 2018:1-4. doi: 11097/PHH.0000000000000893.
- Kabani F. Oral care for patients with Spina Bifida. Decis Dent. 2018;4(12):40-43.
- Matheney N, Atwell A, Kabani F, Fox E. Managing sudden cardiac arrest in the dental office. Decis Dent. 2018;4(12):26-29.
- Matheney N, Atwell A, Kabani F, Fox E. Protocol for sudden cardiac arrest in the dental setting. Dimens Dent Hyg. 2018;16(12):26-29.
- Kabani F. Caring for patients with Spina Bifida. Dimens Dent Hyg. 2017;15(1):48-51.
- Kabani F. Understanding Cerebral Palsy. Dimens Dent Hyg. 2015;13(12):52-55.
- Kabani F, Anderson M. Treating children with Spina Bifida. Dimens Dent Hyg. 2012;10(4):55-57.
- Kabani F, Teague A. Pregnancy and oral health. Dimens Dent Hyg. 2011;9(5):28-32.
Grants and Fellowships
- Kabani F [Principal Investigator] & Muzzin K [Co-Investigator]. Investigating the Perceived Effectiveness & Value of a Computerized Mock National Board Experience in Preparing Students for the National Board Dental Hygiene Examination: A Longitudinal Mixed-Methods Analysis; Texas A&M University College of Dentistry Educational Research Grant; $5,000 (2019-2020).
- Kabani F [Principal Awardee]. Faculty Loan Repayment Program; Health Resources & Services Administration; $40,000 (2018-2020).
Dr. Kabani’s believes that engaging in service activities is an integral aspect to professional growth, leadership development, and a broader call as part of one’s civic duty. Since his appointment, Dr. Kabani has been invited to serve in various leadership capacities, most notably in diversity and faculty development-related initiatives.
Dr. Kabani also serves in several extramural organizations, including chairing committees that provide executive oversight and manage fiscal responsibility. He belongs to a number of professional organizations, including the American Dental Education Association, American Dental Hygienists’ Association, American Academy of Dental Hygiene, American Association for Dental Research, American Association of Public Health Dentistry, and Special Care Dentistry Association.
Service on Professional Committees
- Governing Council, American Academy of Dental Hygiene, 2018-2020
- Finance Committee Chair, American Academy of Dental Hygiene, 2018-2020
- Financial Review Committee Chair, American Academy of Dental Hygiene, 2018-2020
- Council for People with Disabilities, Special Care Dentistry Association, 2016-Present
Service on Texas A&M University Committees
- Educational Research Grant Program Chair, College of Dentistry, 2019-Present
- Inclusion, Diversity, Equity, & Access Committee, College of Dentistry, 2019-Present
- Honors and Undergraduate Research Advisory Committee, TAMU, 2018-Present
- Faculty Development Committee, College of Dentistry, 2017-Present
- Dental Hygiene Program Advisory Committee, College of Dentistry, 2016-Present
- Planning and Assessment Committee, College of Dentistry, 2016-2018
- National Community Educator, Ismaili Tariqah and Religious Education Board for United States, 2015-Present
- Community Healthcare Access Regional Board Member, Aga Khan Health Board for Central United States, 2011-2014
- Adult Leader for Special Projects, Boy Scouts of America, Unit 758, Circle 10 Council, 2005-2013
Academic/Professional Honors & Awards
- Dental Hygiene Teacher of the Year, Texas A&M College of Dentistry (2020)
- Betty M. Unterberger Award, Texas A&M University (2020)
- Sigma Phi Alpha Inductee, Caruth School of Dental Hygiene (2020)
- Heart to Hands Award, Philips and RDH (2020)
- Hallmark Alumni Award, Texas Woman’s University (2020)
- Teaching Award for Interprofessional Excellence, Texas A&M Health Science Center (2019)
- Junior Faculty Award, American Dental Education Association (2019)
- Teaching Excellence Award, Texas A&M University College of Dentistry (2019)
- Educator of the Year Award, American Dental Hygienists’ Association (2018)
- Second Place Informative Poster Competition Award, Texas Oral Health Coalition’s Summer Annual Summit (2016)
- Graduated Cum Laude, Texas Woman’s University (2011)
- Distinguished Student Service Award, Texas Woman’s University (2009)
- Diversity Student Leader Award, Texas Woman’s University (2009)
- Presidential Volunteer Service Award, Lifetime Achievement Award (2006)