CAROLYN ANN KERINS D.D.S, Ph.D.
Associate Professor & Graduate Program Director
Department of Pediatric Dentistry
Texas A&M College of Dentistry
- 2003-2005 Baylor College of Dentistry, Dallas, Texas. Pediatric Dentistry Residency Degree conferred: Certificate
- 1996-2004 Baylor College of Dentistry, Dallas, Texas. Department of Biomedical Sciences. Degree conferred: Ph.D. Biomedical Sciences
- 1998-2002 Baylor College of Dentistry, Dallas, Texas. Degree conferred: D.D.S.
- 1989-1993 Southern Methodist University, Dallas, Texas. Degree conferred: B.S. Biology
- 2012-present Department of Pediatric Dentistry -Graduate program director
- 2011-present Baylor College of Dentistry, Dallas, Texas. Associate professor
- 2011-present Children’s Medical Center Dallas Craniofacial Team- Pediatric Dentist member
- 2013-present University of Texas Southwestern Medical School-Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery- adjunct faculty
- 2008-11/2009 Children’s Dentistry of El Paso. Pediatric Dentist
- Summer 2006 University of Washington, Seattle Washington. Summer Institute in Dental Clinical Research Methods. Certificate
- 2005-2010 Baylor College of Dentistry, Dallas, Texas. Assistant Professor
- 2002-2003 Children’s Medical Center, Dallas, Texas. Pediatric Dentistry Fellowship
- 2003-2005 Community Dental Care, Dallas, Texas. Part-time employment
- 1993-1994 The Surgical Group, Paducah, Kentucky. Research Assistant
- 2002 Western Regional Examining Board
- 2007 American Board of Pediatric Dentistry Diplomate
Medical Staff Appointments
- 11/2005 – present Children’s Medical Center Dallas, Dallas, TX.
- 09/2006 -- present Texas Scottish Rite Hospital for Children, Dallas, TX
- 03/2008 -- present Baylor Our Children’s House, Dallas, TX
- 11/2009 -- present Las Palmas Del Sol Healthcare System, El Paso, TX
- 11/2009 -- present Surgical Center of El Paso, El Paso, TX
- 2008- present Council on Clinical Affairs, American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry
- 2010-present American Board of Pediatric Dentistry OCE examiner
- 2010-2012 American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Leadership Institute—Kellogg
- 2010-present Editorial board Pediatric Dentistry
- 2010-present Editorial board Journal of Dentistry for Children
- 2011-present American Board of Pediatric Dentistry test development Committee
- 2016-present American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry Advanced Leadership Insitute—Wharton School of Management
- American Academy of Pediatric Dentistry
- Texas Academy of Pediatric Dentistry
- Southwest Society of Pediatric Dentistry
- Greater Dallas Pediatric Dentistry Society
- American Cleft Palate-Craniofacial Association
- 5 UL1 RR024982-02 Packer (PI)- NIH/NCRR - Evaluation of Child-life Intervention as a Safe Alternative to Pharmacological Behavior Management in the Pediatric Dental Clinic Setting
- F30 DE05726—NIDCR Individual Predoctoral Dental Scientist Fellowship -Meal pattern analysis as a behavior marker of TMJ inflammation and pain
- Baylor Oral Health Foundation - Effect of salivary stimulation on calculus accumulation in G-tube fed patients
- Cook AK, Kerins CA, Heppner CE. Dental impacts on health-related quality of life in children with orofacial clefts. Pediatric Dentistry 2016. 38(3): 218-23.
- Hinze ES, Casamassimo PS, Seale NS, McIlroy M, Kerins CA, McWhorter AG. Relative value of oral health in well-child care: a survey of pediatricians in Texas and Ohio. J Dent Child (Chic). 2014 May-Aug;81(2):84-90.
- Hucheson C, Seale NS, McWhorter AG, Kerins C, Wright J. Multi-surface composite vs stainless steel crown restorations after mineral trioxide aggregate pulpotomy: A randomized controlled trial. Pediatric Dentistry 34(7): 460-467, 2012.
- Howley B, Seale NS, McWhorter AG, Kerins CA, Boozer KB, Lindsey D. Pulpotomy Versus Pulpectomy for Carious Vital Primary Incisors: Randomized Controlled Trial. Pediatric Dentistry 2012;34(5): e112-119.
- Kempton JD, Wright J, Kerins CA, Hale D. Misdiagnosis of erythema multiforme: A literature review and case report. Pediatric Dentistry 34(4): 337-42, 2012
- Kerins CA, Casamassimo PS, Ciesla D, Lee Y, Seale NS. A Preliminary Analysis of the US Dental Health Care System’s Capacity to Care for Children with Special Health Care Needs. Pediatric Dentistry; 33(2): 107-112, 2011.
- Ciesla D, Kerins CA, Seale NS, Casamassimo P. Characteristics of dental clinics in us children’s hospitals. Pediatric Dentistry, 33(2): 100-106, 2011.
- Kramer PR, Kerins CA, Schneiderman E, Bellinger, LL. Measuring persistent temporomandibular joint nociception in rats and two mice strains. Physiology and Behavior, 99(5) 669-678, 2010.
- Hisaw T, Kerins CA, McWhorter AG, Seale NS. Pediatric obesity curriculum in pediatric dental residency programs. Pediatric Dentistry 31(7):486-491.
- Savage B, McWhorter AG, Kerins CA, Seale NS. Preventive Resin Restorations-Practice and billing patterns of pediatric dentists. Pediatric Dentistry 31(3):210-215, 2009.
- Trueblood R, Seale NS, Kerins CA. Assessing dental caries risk in clinical pediatric practice. Pediatric Dentistry. Pediatric Dentistry 30(1): 320-324, 2008.
- FitzGerald K, Seale NS, Kerins CA, McElvaney R. The critical incident technique: A useful tool for conducting qualitative research. Journal of Dental Education 72(3): 299-304, 2008.
- FitzGerald K, Seale NS, Kerins CA, McElvaney R, Fitzgerald, E. The critical incident technique and pediatric dentistry: A worked example. Journal of Dental Education 72(3): 305-316, 2008.
- Bellinger LL, Spears R, King CM, Dahm F,Hutchins B, Kerins CA, and Phillip R. Kramer. The role of capsaicin-sensitive neurons in inflammation induced temporomandibular joint pain in female and male rats. Physiology and Behavior 90: 782-789, 2007
- Kerins CA , McWhorter A, Seale, NS. Pharmacologic Behavior Management of Pediatric Dental Patients Diagnosed with Attention Deficit Disorder/Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder. Pediatric Dentistry 29(6): 507-513, 2007
- Guogiang G., C.A. Kerins, L.L. Bellinger, and P.R. Kramer. Estrogenic effect on swelling and monocytic receptor expression in an arthritic temporomandibular joint model. Steroids, Biochemistry and Molecular Biology 97: 241-250, 2005
- Kerins CA, Carlson DS, Hinton RJ, Hutchins B, Grogan DM, Marr K, Kramer PR, Spears RD and Bellinger LL. Specificity of meal pattern analysis as an animal model of determining temporomandibular joint inflammation/pain. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, 34: 425-431, 2005
- Kerins CA, Carlson DS, McIntosh JE, Bellinger LL (2004a) A role for cyclooxgenase II inhibitors in modulating temporomandibular joint inflammation from a meal pattern analysis perspective. Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 62:989-995, 2004.
- Kerins CA, Carlson DS, McIntosh JE, Bellinger LL. Meal pattern changes associated with temporomandibular joint inflammation/pain in rats; analgesic effects. Pharmacology, Biochemistry & Behavior 75: 181-189. 2003.
- Kerins CA, Spears R, Bellinger LL, Hutchins B. The prospective use of COX-2 inhibitors for the treatment of temporomandibular joint inflammatory disorders. International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology, 16 (2s): 1-9, 2003.
- Harper RP, Kerins CA, McIntosh, JE, Spears R, and Bellinger LL. Modulation of the inflammatory response in the rat TMJ with increasing doses of complete Freund’s adjuvant. Osteoarthritis and Cartilage, 9:619-624, 2001.
- Harper RP, Kerins CA, Talwar R, Spears R, Carlson DS, McIntosh JE, Bellinger LL. Meal pattern analysis in response to tempromandibular joint inflammation in the rat. J. Dental Res. 79: 1704-1711, 2000.
- Ross CB, Wheeler WG, Jones MJ, Kerins CA and Peek TE. Ceftriaxone versus cefazolin in peripheral arterial operations: A randomized, prospective trial. Southern Medical Journal, 90(1): 16-23, 1997.