Lecturer, Public Health Sciences
As a faculty member of the Department of Public Health Sciences, TAMU College of Dentistry, Ms. Benton provides personalized care in tobacco cessation for patients in the Tobacco Treatment Services program. She also teaches Motivational Interviewing (among other subjects) to pre-doctoral dental students incorporating small group learning activities and role playing.
Ms. Benton received her Bachelor of Science in Dental Hygiene from Texas Woman’s University in Denton, TX. She is a Certified Tobacco Treatment Specialist following training and examination at the Mayo Clinic Nicotine Dependence Center in Rochester, MN. She has also obtained her National Certificate in Tobacco Treatment Practice from the NAADAC, (National Association for Alcoholism and Drug Abuse Counselors) & ATTUD (Association for The Treatment of Tobacco Use and Dependence). She was certified by the Texas Youth Tobacco Awareness Program Leader Training (TYTAP) to conduct tobacco awareness programs for minors charged with attempted purchase, consumption, or possession of tobacco. TYTAP is the state approved program designed to meet the mandates of Texas law;
- American Dental Hygiene Association
- Texas Dental Hygienists Association
- Dallas Dental Hygiene Society
- American Dental Education Association
- Society for Research on Nicotine and Tobacco
- American Academy of Oral Medicine
- Association for the Treatment of Tobacco Use and Dependence (ATTUD)
ATTUD is an organization of providers dedicated to the promotion of and increased access to evidence-based tobacco treatment for the tobacco user.
Other Professional Activities
- Lecturer for several dental and dental hygiene groups
- The long-time focus of her career has been in the area of clinical practice as a dental hygienist, tobacco cessation and treatment of individuals with HIV/AIDS.
- Dental Site Assistant- AIDS Education Training Center
- Ryan White Planning Council Dallas Area, Consortium Member (HRSA)
- Board of Directors, Tarrant County AIDS Interfaith Network
- Dental Advisory Committee, Tarrant County AIDS Interfaith Network
- HRSA HIV/AIDS Bureau Steering Committee and Document Workgroup, Committee Member.
Participation in CPRIT grants:
- Collaborative Tobacco Cessation Education at Texas Schools of Dental Hygiene: Development and Delivery of Core Modules and Assessment of Skills and Practice from 2011-2013
- Engaging Oral Health Providers for Evidence-Based Tobacco Cessation from 2019-2022
- Benton E. General and Oral Pathology for the Dental Hygienist – 2nd Edition (2017), Chapter Delong L and Burkhart N.
- Benton E. General and Oral Pathology for the Dental Hygienist – 3rd Edition (2018), Chapter Delong L and Burkhart N.
- Benton E., Cotter J, McGowan J. The Patient Who Uses Tobacco. Esther Wilkins Clinical Practice of the Dental Hygienist – 11th Edition, 2012, 474-495