These programs are designed to assist dental and dental hygiene students to successfully progress through Texas A&M College of Dentistry.
- Tutoring Program
- Academic Counseling
The academic progress of dental and dental hygiene students is closely monitored at the College of Dentistry. Students who earn less than 79% course average are contacted by the Office of Student Development, and encouraged to pursue options available to them to receive academic tutoring or counseling.
About the tutoring program
- Second-year dental students and senior dental hygiene students are nominated by their first year courses directors to be tutors.
- Students nominated as tutors may choose the subjects they are willing to tutor.
- Tutors are trained in teaching methods and learning styles in early September and attend short meetings throughout the year.
- Tutoring helps the dental hygiene tutors prepare for professional board exams.
- Dental students who tutor earn one selective credit. (All students must have two selective credits to graduate).
- Methods the tutors may use while working with the students include: sharing study suggestions they found to work for them, asking questions about course material, and using or developing diagrams and drawings for memory aids.
The tutoring service is free to the students being tutored. Tutors are paid an hourly wage for tutoring and enjoy working with students.
Tutoring is available in the following courses:
- 601 Foundations
- 602 Human Structures and Functions
- 603 Human Structure Functions and Disease
- 604 Human Defenses and Responses
- 605 Pathologic Basis of Diseases
- 613 Introduction to Restorative Dentistry
Dental Hygiene Courses
- Oral Radiology
- Dental Anatomy
- Preclinical Dental Hygiene
- Biomedical Sciences I & II
- Applied Dental Materials
How do I arrange for a tutor?
To request a peer tutor, please contact Ms. Sheryl Messersmith (214-828-8185). Ms. Messersmith will meet with you briefly to discuss your academic needs, and study habits prior to matching you with a peer tutor. Once matched, the tutor will contact you for the first meeting. You will schedule the remainder of your meetings as needed.
Schedules of exams, quizzes and lab practicals are assembled and distributed to dental and dental hygiene students at the beginning of each semester.
Academic counseling is offered to College of Dentistry dental and dental hygiene students experiencing academic difficulty. They may receive counseling for the following:
- Study skills
- Time management
- Test-taking skills
- Reading comprehension and memory skills
- Active study methods
- Stress management
Students who wish to discuss their study skills individually and confidentially may contact:
Ms. Sheryl Messersmith
Texas A&M College of Dentistry
Office of Student Development
3302 Gaston Avenue, Rm. 365
Dallas, TX 75246