The Application deadline is January 5. The Office of Recruitment and Admissions encourages applicants to submit the online application forms in early December. All materials related to the application must be received in the Office of Recruitment and Admissions by February 1.
The following must be included with the application when it is submitted online:
- Application for Admission
- Secondary Application
- List of courses in progress and those planned prior to enrollment into our program (this information is requested on the online application - no separate form is required)
- Biographical sketch (this essay is requested as part of the online application - no separate form is required)
Other materials that should be sent to complete your application:
Due to COVID-19 the requirements of 16 hours of shadowing and the recommendation/evaluation letter from a Dental Hygienist will be waived for this application cycle. If you have already completed any shadowing you may submit that information with your other application materials.
- Application Fee ($35.00)
- Photograph sized 2 X 2 (does not have to be a passport picture - can be regular photograph cut down)
- Transcripts from high school and all colleges attended
- Scores from Texas Success Initiative (TSI). (Or if exempt, SAT/ACT or TAAS usually scores are listed on high school transcript you do not have to submit scores separately.)
- Observation Verification Form (minimum 16 hours required) form available for download at the bottom of this page.
- Evaluation Forms (submitted by a dental hygienist, a college professor and an individual who has known the applicant for some time; for example, an employer or supervisor.) Evaluations from family members and friends are not acceptable.
- An application is valid for one academic year only. Re-applicants must re-submit new recommendation letters and the observation verification form.
- Official transcripts are required, and will be accepted only when sent directly from each school the applicant has attended.
- Recommendations are required from (1) a dental hygienist, (2) a college professor and (3) an individual who has known the applicant for some time; for example, an employer or supervisor. Recommendation letters from family members and friends are not acceptable.
- It is the responsibility of the applicant to keep the application file current. Failure to supply grades, transcripts or recommendations may be perceived as an indication that the applicant is no longer interested in admission.
Processing of applications begins the year prior to entrance into the professional program and continues until the class is filled. The applications are evaluated and an invitation for an interview may be extended. The purpose of the interview is to determine the applicant's knowledge of the dental hygiene profession. It also provides an opportunity for the applicant to see the facility, meet with the Admissions Committee and to ask questions about the Caruth School of Dental Hygiene program.
All prospective students are encouraged to contact the College Of Dentistry with questions regarding prerequisite courses or the program.
Each student is responsible for declaring a legal state of residency at the time of application. Residency requirements are described in the Texas Education Code. A copy of the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board rules and regulations on determination of residency status is available in the Office of Student Affairs at the College of Dentistry or may be downloaded from the THECB website at http://www.thecb.state.tx.us/.
Basis For Acceptance
All applicants for admission will be considered without regards to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, sex or age. Preference is given to Texas residents. Qualified handicapped persons who are capable of meeting the academic and technical standards essential to participation in the program will receive equal consideration.
The quality of the applicant's academic achievement is a prime consideration. A grade point average (GPA) is computed based on all courses taken in college.
Preference for admission is given to students with:
- A cumulative GPA and Science GPA indicating ability to succeed in the program.
- Attention given to detail when completing the application.
A comprehensive biographical sketch that includes information that will help the Admissions Committee know the applicant better. Details about the dental hygiene procedures that have been observed, a description of the community service projects in which you have participated and information concerning your interests, abilities and attitudes that have motivated you to make the commitment required for a career in dental hygiene are examples of information that might be included.
Matriculation and Registration
All students are required to register on the dates specified in the official school calendar. A matriculation fee is required of every student upon first admittance to any program of the College of Dentistry. New students who fail to report for registration at the specified time may lose their place in the class, unless they have previously received permission for late registration.
Veterans who have obtained a certificate of eligibility should report to the Director of Student Aid for handling of veteran's benefits.
Detailed information about student aid and veteran affairs is available from the Financial Aid Office.
Before enrollment, the accepted applicant must return a completed physical examination form furnished by the College. Required immunizations are listed on the physical examination form.
How To Access the Dental Hygiene Application Forms
The applicant will be required to:
- Create an account on the TAMHSC Admissions Processing Portal (APP) website.
- Complete and submit the following:
- The Dental Hygiene Application
- The Secondary Application and
- The Ethnicity Form.
The application for Dental Hygiene Program will be available on the TAMHSC APP website from June 1st to January 5th.
The Evaluation Form and Observation Verification Form are available for download. You will need to print these forms and submit them with signatures through regular mail.
NOTE: Due to COVID-19 the requirements of 16 hours of shadowing and the recommendation/evaluation letter from a Dental Hygienist will be waived for this application cycle. If you have already completed any shadowing you may submit that information with your other application materials.
If you have questions about the application process, you may email the Office of Recruitment and Admissions or phone the office at 214.828.8231.